JAKARTA (Antara) : At least 27 people were killed and 65 others went missing when a landslide occurred in Manggarai regency, East Nusa Tenggara provinces, an official says.
Head of Health Ministry's Crisis Center Rustam S Pakaya said that the missing people may be buried under the landslide in Riung village, Cibal district.
"Today, we send our staffs to help the victims," he was quoted as saying Saturday.
Previously, Antara news agency reported from East Nusa Tenggara capital of Kupang that the incident in Manggarai killed at least 34, buried 12 others.
The incident, sparked by heavy rains pouring the region since Thursday, buried at least 11 houses in Riung village, Cibal district.
Confirming the incident, provincial Governor Piet Alexander Tallo said that rescuers were still digging other bodies, who were still buried by the landslide.
Manggarai Regent Christian Rotok also reported other landslides in a number of villages including Goreng Medi, Tengku Leda, Poco Ranaka, Compang Wuvis, Buar and Dimpong.