Robber fly - Nature photographer Thomas Shahan specializes in amazing portraits of tiny insects. It isn't easy. Shahan says that this Robber Fly (Holcocephala fusca), for instance, is "skittish" and doesn't like its picture taken.

Nature by Numbers (Video)

"The Greater Akashic System" – July 15, 2012 (Kryon Channelling by Lee Caroll) (Subjects: Lightworkers, Intent, To meet God, Past lives, Universe/Galaxy, Earth, Pleiadians, Souls Reincarnate, Invention: Measure Quantum state in 3D, Recalibrates, Multi-Dimensional/Divine, Akashic System to change to new system, Before religion changed the system, DNA, Old system react to Karma, New system react to intent now for next life, Animals (around humans) reincarnate again, This Animal want to come back to the same human, Akashic Inheritance, Reincarnate as Family, Other Planets, Global Unity … etc.)

Question: Dear Kryon: I live in Spain. I am sorry if I will ask you a question you might have already answered, but the translations of your books are very slow and I might not have gathered all information you have already given. I am quite concerned about abandoned animals. It seems that many people buy animals for their children and as soon as they grow, they set them out somewhere. Recently I had the occasion to see a small kitten in the middle of the street. I did not immediately react, since I could have stopped and taken it, without getting out of the car. So, I went on and at the first occasion I could turn, I went back to see if I could take the kitten, but it was to late, somebody had already killed it. This happened some month ago, but I still feel very sorry for that kitten. I just would like to know, what kind of entity are these animals and how does this fit in our world. Are these entities which choose this kind of life, like we do choose our kind of Human life? I see so many abandoned animals and every time I see one, my heart aches... I would like to know more about them.

Answer: Dear one, indeed the answer has been given, but let us give it again so you all understand. Animals are here on earth for three (3) reasons.

(1) The balance of biological life. . . the circle of energy that is needed for you to exist in what you call "nature."

(2) To be harvested. Yes, it's true. Many exist for your sustenance, and this is appropriate. It is a harmony between Human and animal, and always has. Remember the buffalo that willingly came into the indigenous tribes to be sacrificed when called? These are stories that you should examine again. The inappropriateness of today's culture is how these precious creatures are treated. Did you know that if there was an honoring ceremony at their death, they would nourish you better? Did you know that there is ceremony that could benefit all of humanity in this way. Perhaps it's time you saw it.

(3) To be loved and to love. For many cultures, animals serve as surrogate children, loved and taken care of. It gives Humans a chance to show compassion when they need it, and to have unconditional love when they need it. This is extremely important to many, and provides balance and centering for many.

Do animals know all this? At a basic level, they do. Not in the way you "know," but in a cellular awareness they understand that they are here in service to planet earth. If you honor them in all three instances, then balance will be the result. Your feelings about their treatment is important. Temper your reactions with the spiritual logic of their appropriateness and their service to humanity. Honor them in all three cases.

Dian Fossey's birthday celebrated with a Google doodle

Dian Fossey's birthday celebrated with a Google doodle
American zoologist played by Sigourney Weaver in the film Gorillas in the Mist would have been 82 on Thursday (16 January 2014)

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Jakarta: Rio, Dairy Farmer and Former Banker

Jakarta Globe, Iwan Putuhena, February 03, 2010

"Working behind a desk, I felt no better than one of these cows," Rio laughs.


Where’s the beef? Got milk? In Jakarta, about the closest you can get to an actual cow is probably the meat section at Kem Chicks. Which makes Rio’s career switch all the more unusual. This former Jakarta banker quit his desk job to become a dairy farmer.

Recently, he took us to one of his farms, about two hours outside of Jakarta, and told us how he milks money from cows.

How far away is your farm from your home in Central Jakarta?

I have two farms. One is in Ciawi, near Bogor, about an hour’s drive from Jakarta, and the other is in Lembang, about two hours away, close to Bandung. I go to Lembang every Monday and Thursday and I spend the other days in Ciawi.

How many employees do you have?

There are around 30 workers on each farm. Most are local people and some live on the farm.

What products do you sell from your farms?

We sell dairy products and vegetables. Cow’s milk, goat’s milk, yogurt, ice cream, tomatoes, broccoli, chilies, strawberries, blackberries and many other products.

You distribute it in Jakarta?

Everywhere. Some of the restaurants, schools and gyms in Jakarta carry my yogurt and ice cream products, the milk is bought by a recreational park and the vegetables go to the high-end supermarkets in Jakarta. I also have a wholesale market in Lembang where you can buy directly.

Have you ever milked a cow?

No, because we do that in the morning, when I’m usually still driving. Not everyone is able to milk a cow. You have to know the technique or you’re going to get a kick in the face. If someone milks a cow while feeling stressed, physiologically the cow senses it and won’t produce as much milk as it should. You have to be in a good mood to do it. I have a machine as well, but it produces less milk than traditional milking.

How much milk can each cow produce?

Ideally, at least 10 liters. That’s how much it should produce just to break even. If you can get 15 liters, then five liters is your profit. Any cow producing below 10 liters will be sent to the slaughterhouse, usually after five to six years. Cows produce milk after they give birth; usually the third time is when production peaks.

What do they do all day?

They eat, sleep and crap.

What do you do with all the waste?

We reuse everything. The dung and the urine from the cows and goats is used as fertilizer, mixed with other materials and vitamins for the broccoli, tomatoes and everything else we grow on this farm.

Did you study agriculture?

No, I studied finance in the States, and when I got back I worked at a bank. Then my parents wanted me to continue this family business, and now I’ve been doing it for eight years. In the beginning, I did a lot of reading, and I think I have a library full of books about cows and farming.

Can you raise cows in the city?

Yes, there’s a cow farm near Setiabudi. It’s a good business because the transportation fees are low when it comes to distributing the products. But I prefer to be outside Jakarta where the air is still fresh and there’s more space to do other things such as grow vegetables.

So it’s a good business?

Any business is good as long as you have the market. Nowadays not many people go into farming. They’d rather invest in stocks or a restaurant. Farming is not easy and you don’t make that much profit. I do things properly by maintaining high standards, feeding the cows the best nutrients and investing in proper stalls and the right people to do the job. I have also invested in machines to make ice cream and yogurt, because every liter sells at three times the price of milk.

When you look at these cows, does it make you want to eat a hamburger?

I eat beef, but I’m not crazy about it.

It’s not because you feel sorry for them?

No, I don’t feel sorry. I feel bad seeing them chained. I would like to have a place where the cows could walk freely. Usually we let the calves walk around.

Do you have a favorite cow?

No, because I don’t want to get attached as I know they’re heading for the slaughterhouse. I like to play with them and tease them. Once, I was too aggressive and the chain came off, so I ran as fast as I could [laughs].

Cows are cool. Could I keep one as a pet?

Sure, why not, there is a bule near my farm in Lembang who owns a villa and keeps cows as pets.

Do you enjoy being on the farm more than working in the city behind a desk?

Yes, of course, time is very precious to me. When I worked for someone else, I felt like I was trapped. Having my own business, I get control over my time, even if it means I have to work harder. I enjoy the fresh air of the countryside and walking in the fields. Working behind a desk, I felt no better than one of these cows: eat, sleep, produce milk, and when you’re no longer producing, you’re dead [laughs].

No comments: